Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
Medical Doctor (MD)
Maternal Fetal Medicine Sub-Specialisation
Member of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (MRCOG) Part II
Member of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (MRCOG) Part I
Certificate of Family Planning Regional Limerick Hospital
Member of RCOG
Member of British Maternal Fetal Medicine Society
Member of International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Member of International Twin Society
Member of Ulster Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society
Northern Ireland Executive of the RCOG; 2007-2009
Member of Irish Perinatal Society
Member of Perinatal Ireland Consortium (Includes 8 tertiary centres across the Republic of Ireland and NI)
Member of Ulster Medical Society
Member of the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management, UK
Member of the National British Society Abortion Care Providers (BSACP)
Member of Ferguson Club; 2001-2009
Member of Royal Belfast Golf Club, Co Down
Member of BSACP (The British Society of Abortion Care Providers). www.bsacp.org.uk
Member of a Belizean Grove. www.belizeangrove.org
- Cecelia Mulcahy; Fionnuala Mone; Peter McParland; Fionnuala Breathnach; Fiona Cody; John J Morrison; John Higgins; Sean Daly; Samina Dornan; Amanda Cotter; Patrick Dicker; Elizabeth Tully; Fergal D Malone; Fionnuala M Mc Auliffe. The impact of aspirin on 3D placental volume, placental vascular flow indices and uterine artery Doppler in pregnancy: results from the TEST randomised controlled trial. Pregnancy and Childbirth PRCH-D-17-00445. June 2017.
- Burke N, Burke G, Breathnach, F, McAuliffe F, Morrison, J J, Turner M, Dornan S, Higgins J et al. The prediction of morbidity related to vaginal delivery in nulliparous women: a secondary analysis from the Genesis multicentre trial. Submitted to the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. March 2017.
- Griffiths P D, Bradburn M, Campbell M J, Cooper, C L, Graham R, Jarvis D, Kilby M D, Mason G, Mooney C, Robson S C, Wailoo A, on behalf of the MERIDIAN collaborative group. Dornan S (Site lead) et al. Magnetic resonance imaging to enhance the diagnosis of fetal developmental brain abnormalities in utero (MERIDIAN): a multicentre, prospective cohort study. Lancet, 4 February 2017:389: 538-46.
- Burke N1, Burke G2, Breathnach F3, McAuliffe F4, Morrison JJ5, Turner M6, Dornan S7, Higgins JR8, Cotter A2, Geary M9, McParland P10, Daly S11, Cody F3, Dicker P12, Tully E3, Malone FD3; Prediction of Cesarean delivery in the term nulliparous woman: results from the prospective, multicentre Genesis study. Perinatal Ireland Research Consortium. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Jun;216(6):598.e1-598.e11. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2017.02.017. Epub 2017 Feb 16
- Burke N, Burke G, Breathnach, F, McAuliffe F, Morrison, J J, Turner M, Dornan S, Higgins J et al. A fetal Head Circumference above the 90th Centile is a significant risk factor for Caesarean delivery and complicated labour: Results from the Prospective Multicentre Genesis Study. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Vol 214, Issue 1, S197. January 2016.
- Burke N, Burke G, Breathnach, F, McAuliffe F, Morrison, J J, Turner M, Dornan S, Higgins J et al. How to predict Caesarean Delivery in the Nulliparous patient: Results from the Prospective Multicentre Genesis Study. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Vol 214, Issue 1, S15. January 2016.
- Burke N, Burke G, Breathnach, F, McAuliffe F, Morrison, J J, Turner M, Dornan S, Higgins J et al. Effect of Induction of Labour on Caesarean Delivery Rates in Nulliparous Patients: Results from the Prospective Multicentre Genesis Study. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Vol 214, Issue 1, S343-S344. January 2016.
- Burke N, Burke G, Breathnach, F, McAuliffe F, Morrison, J J, Turner M, Dornan S, Higgins J et al. Do Birth Plans Improve Obstetric Outcome for First Time Mothers: Results from the Multicentre Genesis Study. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Vol 214, Issue 1, S276. January 2016.
- Burke N, Burke G, Breathnach, F, McAuliffe F, Morrison, J J, Turner M, Dornan S, Higgins J et al. Increased fetal adiposity is a risk factor for Caesarean delivery: Results of the national prospective Genesis study. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Vol 214, Issue 1, S225. January 2016.
- Griffiths PD, Bradburn M, Campbell MJ, Connolly DJA, Cooper CL, Jarvis D, Kilby MD5, Mason G6, Mooney C7, Robson SC8, Wailoo A9; MERIDIAN Collaborative Group. Change in diagnostic confidence brought about by using in utero MRI for fetal structural brain pathology: analysis of the MERIDIAN cohort. Clin Radiol. 2017 Jun;72(6):451-457. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2017.01.009. Epub 2017 Feb 24.
- Tzelepis, A, Dornan S. Prenatal ultrasound screening for orofacial clefts. 13th World Congress in Fetal Medicine. Nice, France. 29-3 July 2014.
- Oepkes D, Yaron Y, Kozlowski P, Rego de Sousa MJ, Bartha JL, Van den Akker ES, Dornan SM, Krampl-Bettelheim E, Schmid M, Wieglos M, Cirigliano V, Di Renzo GC, Cameron A, Calda P and Tabor A. Counselling for non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT): what pregnant women may want to know. (Pages 105). Article first published online: 2 July 2014. DOI: 10.102/uog.13394.
- Memmo A, Dias T, Mahsud-Dornan S, Papageorghiou AT, Bhide A, Thilaganathan B. Prediction of selective fetal growth restriction and twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome in monochorionic twins. Journal BJOG. 2012 Mar; 119(4):417-21. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03250.x. Affiliation Fetal Medicine Unit, St George's University of London, London, UK.
- Athanasias PK, Afors K, Dornan, SD. Antepartum Haemorrhage. Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine, Volume 22, Issue 1, January 2012, Pages 21-25.
- Dias T, Ladd S, Mahsud-Dornan S, Bhide A, Papageorghiou AT, Thilaganathan B. et al. Systematic labelling of twin pregnancies on ultrasound. Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2011 Online Library. 15 Jul 2011 - Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2011; 38: 130–133. DOI: 10.1002/uog.8990.
- Dias T, Mahsud-Dornan S, Arcangeli T, Bhide A, Thilaganathan B. First trimester ultrasound determination of chorionicity in twin pregnancy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynaecol. 2011, Nov; 38(5):530-2. Doi: 10.1002/uog.8956.epub 2011 May 3.
- Dias T, Contro E, Thilaganathan B, Khan H, Zanardini C, Mahsud-Dornan S, Bhide A. Pregnancy Outcome of Monochorionic Twins: Does Amniocity Matter? Twin Res Hum Genet. 2011 Dec 14 (6):586-92.
- Dias T, Mahsud-Dornan S. Arcangeli T, Bhide A, Papageorghiou AT, Thilaganathan B. Second trimester assessment of gestational age in twins: Validation of singleton biometry charts. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Jul 8. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:20617507.
- Dornan J.C,Mahsud-Dornan S, (Editorial). Intrauterine Growth Restriction, A Contemporary Review. Best Practice and Research; Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Vol 23, 2009, 742.
- Dornan J.C, Bricker L, Mahsud-Dornan S. Detection of Fetal Growth Restriction Using Third Trimester Ultrasound. Best Practice and Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Vol 23, 2009, 742.
- Mahsud Dornan, S. Level of Fear and awareness before and after prenatal diagnostic clinic. Accepted oral pres.@ At XXI European Congress of Perinatal Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey, Sept 2008.
- Mahsud-Dornan S. Pakistan; Populations Programmes and Progress. Ulster Medical Journal 2007. 76(3) 1-2
- McKenna D, Tharmaratnam S, Mahsud S, Dornan J. Ultrasonic Evidence of placental calcification at 36 weeks’ gestation: maternal and fetal outcomes. Acta Obstet et Gynecol Scand 2005; 84: 7-10
- Mc Kenna D, Tharmaratnam S, Mahsud S, Harper A, Dornan JC. A Randomised Controlled Trial Using Serial Directed Real Time Ultrasound to Identify The Large For Gestational Age Infant In a Low Risk Population. Prenatal and Neonatal Medicine 2005 (2) P151.
- D, Tharmaratnam S, Mahsud S, Bailie C, Harper A, Dornan J. Ultrasound Scans Reduced the Risk of Small for Gestational Age Infants and Increased Antenatal Interventions in Low Risk Pregnancies. Evidence-Based Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2004; 6: 6-7
- Mahsud S, McKenna D, Dornan J. Belfast Paradox. Ulster Medical Journal, May 2004; 54:58
- Mahsud S, McKenna D, Dornan J. Fetal Alcohol Consumption in the First Trimester and Pre-eclampsia. Fetal Diagnostic Therapeutic 2003; 18 (1):25.
· Dias T, Mahsud-Dornan S , Contro E, Khan H, Zardini C, Thilaganathan B, Bhide A. First trimester ultrasound dating of twin pregnancy; are singleton charts reliable? Submitted to Prenatal Diagnosis. Journal of BJOG. 2010 Jul; 117(8):979-84. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2010.02592.x. Epub 2010 May 19.
· Dias T. Mahsud-Dornan S, Contro E, Khan H, Zardini C, Thilaganathan B, Bhide A. Outcome of monochorionic twins according to amniocity. BJOG, Issue 6, Online publication. 19 May 2010.
· Mahsud-Dornan S, Thilaganathan B, Papageorghiou A, Bhide A Cord entanglement and perinatal outcome in monoamniotic twin pregnancies. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Feb;35(2);201-4. Pub Med PMID : 20069540.
· Dornan J.C, Mahsud-Dornan S: Intrauterine Growth Restriction, A Contemporary Review. Best Practice & Research: Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Vol 23 (2009) 739–844.
· McKenna D, Mahsud S, Tharmaratnam S, Bailie C, Dornan J. A Randomised Trial Using Ultrasound to Identify the High Risk Fetus in a Low Risk Population. Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Green Journal) 2003; 101 (4): 626-632 (Lead Article). Also cited in: BMJ 2003; 326:890.
· McKenna D, Mahsud S, Tharmaratnam S, Bailie C, Dornan J. A Randomised Controlled Trial Using Serial Directed Real Time Ultrasound to Identify the At-Risk Fetus in a Low-Risk Population. British Congress of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Sydney, Australia, 2002. Abstract P137 (Second prize).
· Mahsud S. Antenatal Problems; the Place of Day Assessment - SPROGS. April 2001.
· Mahsud S, Tharma S, Casement M. Vaginal Sacrospinous Ligament Fixation – The Gold Standard. Rooster Scientific Meeting – Le Manga, Spain in October 2000. Abstract P6.
Reviewing for Peer Reviewed Journals
- Ulster Medical Journal
- International journal of Obstetrics Gynaecology & Reproductive Medicine
- British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Research Work Completed
- Genesis: Data collection and analysis has been completed. Multiple presentations and publications have been made and some are still in progress. 2014-2016.
- Meridian: Data collection and analysis has been completed. Multiple presentations and publications have been made and some are still in progress. 2014-2016.
- TheGrowth Restriction Intervention Trial(GRIT). Best management and optimum time of delivery of severely IUGR Fetus. Published in 2012.
- MD Thesis. PET Studies:Predictive Role of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor VEGF – Soluble flt-1, Fibronectin, Inhibin A, Activin A, Serum Leptin and P Selectin in Pre-eclampsia. To design a biochemical screening test with one or a combination of above factors, this will identify patients at risk of placental insufficiency. (Research supported by NIMBA/Tiny Life). Thesis accepted November 2008. Graduation, December 2008.
- Randomised Controlled Trial to Analyse the Effect of Folic Acid in Second and Third Trimester of Pregnancy (FASTT). The Effect of Raised Homocystein and its Consequences in Pregnant Patients. Research project in collaboration with the University of Ulster, Coleraine under the supervision of Prof Helen McNulty, Faculty of Life and Health Sciences.
- Research in conjunction with anaesthetic colleagues about maternal tilt and its effect on maternal and fetal circulation before, during and after Caesarean section. Effects analysed through pulse oxymetry, fetal umbilical artery Doppler and fetal pH. N Wallace.
Research Work in Progress
· Non-Invasive Prenatal Study (NIPT) with IONA. Premaitha Health. Multicentre prospective study starting soon. Approved by ethics and currently recruiting in six tertiary centres in England. The study is registered on the NIHR portfolio.
- Cervical length normal gram in prima gravida twin pregnancies. Prospective study in Royal Maternity Hospital, Belfast Trust. Funds for the study have been secured and currently in the process of ethical submission.
- Applied to be a centre recognised for ASPRE Study. A multicentre randomised controlled trial to evaluate the effectiveness of low dose Aspirin in reducing pregnancy complications.
· GENISIS Study; Ultrasound measurements of fetal head in late third trimester and the labour outcomes. A multicentre trial under Perinatal Ireland. Work in progress.
· MERIDIAN Trial; Multicentre trial to decide what is the best modality to obtain the best information in fetus with ventriculomegaly.