Laparoscopic - Keyhole - Hysterectomy
otal laparoscopic (keyhole) hysterectomy is a keyhole hysterectomy done through tiny cuts in the tummy, using tiny, modern cutting instruments to diminish the damage to the skin and the pelvic tissues. Keyhole surgery has many advantages to open surgery.
Benefits of a total laparoscopic hysterectomy?
Trauma to the skin and the tissues in the pelvis is smaller and this means that recovery is much quicker than after a tummy cut (laparotomy). The average hospital stay is 1-2 days only and the majority of patients resume their normal activities quickly. That can be an important factor for those looking after their children, needing to go back to work and those who would like to enjoy their full, active life as soon as possible.
The benefits of keyhole surgery are:
- Shorter hospital day (1-2 days)
- Faster recovery back to normal (2-3 weeks sick leave only)
- Less blood loss during the operation
- Less risk of wound infection and breakdown
- Minimal scarring
Hysterectomy is commonly advised for people suffering from:
- Heavy periods (where other conservative methods failed)
- Chronic pelvic inflammation
- Cancer of the uterus, cervix or ovary
- Precancerous changes of cervix or uterus
At Kingsbridge Private Hospital our expert consultants will discuss and advise you on all treatments available and the best course of surgery options to suit your needs and medical condition.
Please visit our Hysterectomy section to find out more about this type of surgery.