Cardiac Screening For A Healthy Heart
Cardiovascular disease is one of the main causes of death in the UK. So, heart disease prevention strategies should be an important part in maintaining a heart-healthy lifestyle, that put you in control of your cardiac health.
Regular heart screenings should be an essential part in managing overall health for those over forty.
If you have any concerns about diet, lifestyle, stress levels or family history, or just wish to have peace of mind in matters of the heart, the Cardiac Screening Service at Belfast’s Kingsbridge Private Hospital is available to help. We provide access to a full range of services specifically for heart conditions at our Cardiac Clinic.
High blood pressure and high cholesterol damages the heart and blood vessels. But without testing for them, the danger signs can be easily overlooked and you probably won't know whether you have these conditions. Regular heart screening can put you in the picture, letting you know whether you need to take action.
Cardiac Investigation, Diagnosis and Treatment
The 3fivetwo Cardiac Clinic provides a complete heart disease risk assessment and our expert cardiologists will discuss any symptoms or concerns you are having about the health of your heart.
We provide a comprehensive range of heart investigations and screening tests that will help diagnose any cardiac problems and help you find the most effective treatment.
- Blood pressure. You should have a blood pressure test performed at least once every two years to screen for high blood pressure as a risk factor for heart disease and stroke.
- Cholesterol levels. Adults should generally have their cholesterol measured at least once every five years. More regular testing may be recommended if you have other risk factors, such as a family history of early-onset heart disease.
- Diabetes screening. Since diabetes is a risk factor for developing heart disease, you may want to consider being screened for diabetes.
- Pre-Participation Cardiac Sports Screening. Prescreening can improve detection of cardiac abnormalities and minimise the risks associated with athletic participation. Prescreening consists of a targeted personal history, family history and physical examination. The key prescreening elements include a history of elevated systemic blood pressure, knowledge of certain cardiac conditions in family members, and the presence of a heart murmur that are designed to identify, or at least raise the suspicion of, cardiovascular diseases that place certain athletes at risk. Patients would receive ECGs, echocardiograms, and other follow-up tests only if the screening indicates the presence of a problem. This service is carried out via Sports Medicine Speciclist Dr Neil Heron.
Two Stage Heart Health Assessment
The 3fivetwo healthy heart assessment is delivered in two stages by our team of Consultant Cardiologists.
The first stage consists of an overall heart assessment that results in a Cardio Vascular System risk analysis.
Stage 1 Screening Tests:
- Physical examination
- Family History
- Height, weight and BMI
- Cholesterol and blood pressure check
- Cardiovascular risk evaluation
- 12 lead ECG
- Exercise stress test/treadmill or echocardiogram
- CT calcium scoring and/or cardiac CT angiography (Stage 2)
Should the examining doctor feel that there is sufficient clinical justification, then a referral to the Stage Two Testing can be arranged. This involves a CT calcium scoring and, or, CT cardiac angiography.
All heart test results will be discussed in full. We will also provide advice on lifestyle modifications, where this is required, and arrange for any further investigations, should this be necessary. All carried out at your convenience.
Pre-Participation Cardiac Sports Screening
3fivetwo have been involved in cardiac risk assessment in various areas of sport and commerce including screening of numerous IFA clubs for the UEFA licence.
Recently we have been acutely aware of the need to offer a more accessible product to the local population. With this in mind we are pleased to announce the introduction of 3fivetwo pre participation cardiac sports screening.
This is the first locally managed, fully comprehensive, cardiac screening service for young athletes aged 16-35yrs. The service is managed from our state of the art Medical Imaging Centre in Belfast where we have access to 12 lead ECG, Echocardiography, Exercise Stress Testing (EST treadmill), Cardiac CT, Consultations, Blood Tests and Cardiac MRI.
Every week in the UK approximately 16 young people die from sudden cardiac death or previously undiagnosed heart conditions. While unfortunately no screening service can deliver 100% sensitivity to the conditions related to these sudden deaths, at 3fivetwo we have worked closely with local doctors to deliver a screening service that gives you the best chance to detect abnormalities.
No matter which sport, or at what level you play, everyone is potentially at risk and so long as they are aged between 16 and 35 years old we are able to facilitate screening. Anyone below or above the age parameters can avail of a private consultation with one our resident consultants or avail of a healthy heart assessment.
If you wish to book an appointment, please complete our Pre-Participation Cardiac Sports Screening Questionnaire prior to your appointment were possible.
This service is carried out via Sports Medicine Speciclist Dr Neil Heron.
If you would like to book an Heart Screening Clinic appointment or require further information on the options available, please do not hesitate to contact our booking team on 0845 60 06 352.