Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery - MISS
Kingsbridge Private Hospital, Belfast is the first and currently only provider to offer this minimally invasive surgery in Ireland.
Spine surgery is traditionally done as "open surgery," meaning the area being operated on is opened with a long incision (20-30cm) to allow the surgeon to view and access the anatomy. In recent years, however, technological advances have allowed more back and neck conditions to be treated with a minimally invasive surgical technique (3cm incision).
Because minimally invasive spine surgery (MISS), does not involve a long incision, it avoids significant damage to the muscles surrounding the spine. In most cases, this results in less pain after surgery and a faster recovery.
Spine surgery is typically recommended only when a period of nonsurgical treatment — such as medications and physiotherapy has not relieved the painful symptoms caused by your back problem. In addition, surgery is only considered if your doctor can pinpoint the exact source of your pain, such as a herniated disk or spinal stenosis.
How to access Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery
- To avail of the service, it is necessary to first book an initial consultation.
- If you have no previous imaging available (MRI or CT scans) it may be necessary to have these undertaken after your consultation.
- If you are suitable for the procedure it can usually be performed within a few weeks.
- Treatment will last a few hours in theatre.
- You may stay in hospital for 1-2 nights.
MISS is potentially suitable for anyone wishing a quick recovery with less complications, however it is especially useful for those who require rapid recovery such as sports professionals or athletes.
Additional Spine Related Services
For more information about this service please call 028 90667878