Belfast Medical Diagnostics and MRI Scan Centre
The Kingsbridge Private Hospital in Belfast now offers one of the most advanced clinical MRI scan facilities in the UK and Ireland with the ability to scan all areas including Neurology, MSK, Abdominal and Cardiac. Apart from offering MRI scanning our range of medical diagnostics includes X-Ray, Fluoroscopy, CT Scan, and Ultrasound.
Benefits of having your MRI scan at Kingsbridge Private Hospital include:
- Same Day Scans guaranteed
- Evening Scans available
- 48 hour diagnosis and results reporting
- Patient comfort with a choice of in-room ambient lighting and music, head-ﬁrst or feet-ﬁrst
- Head First/Feet First options for most scans and a unique tilt option for patients unable to lay ﬂat
These innovative scanning services are backed up by seven consultation rooms, a nurse treatment room with ultrasound and the existing features of X-Ray and Fluoroscopy available in the Kingsbridge Private Hospital.
The combination of the latest scanning technology, five star facilities and comprehensive scanning service options places our Diagnostic Centre at the forefront of private MRI scanning and imaging in Northern Ireland.
MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) Technology
Kingsbridge Hospital's state of the art 1.5T Philips Ingenia MRI scanner is currently one of the most advanced clinical units in the UK and Ireland with the ability to scan all areas including Neurology, MSK, Abdominal and Cardiac.
The 70cm wide bore and Xtend design allows an ultra-compact bore length a wider bore for all patients and still the best in class magnetic homogeneity, allowing exceptional imaging quality.
Clinically all of our coils incorporate Philips-exclusive direct digital technology; allowing higher resolutions while maintaining crystal clear images. Our Head and Spine coil also has the unique ability to tilt allowing maximum comfort for patients with kyphosis and those unable to lay flat.
MRI emits no radiation and has no known detrimental effects on the patient. It is a quick, safe painless procedure.
MRI Scanning Services Offered:
MRI provides clear, detailed images for a variety of pathology and soft tissue injures. Including but not exhaustive:
- Neurological Imaging: MRI head and brain scan for hearing loss, MS, epilepsy, cause of headaches etc
- Musculoskeletal Imaging: Knee, Neck, Shoulder and Back MRI scan for muscle injuries, ligament damage, labral tears, sprains and joint problems etc
- Sports Injury: Muscle trauma, inflammation, sports hernia, neurological problems, spinal problems, vascular problems, soft tissue abdominal/pelvic pathology, bowel problems, ENT conditions
- Abdominal MRI Scan and Imaging: For liver problems, kidney problems, gallstones, Crohn's Disease etc
- Vascular Imaging: For looking at blood vessels etc
- Lumbar Spinal Scan and Imaging: For back pain, paraesthesia (pins and needles in limbs), curvature of the spine etc
- MRI Arthrograms: With injection under fluoroscopic guidance.
Why use the Kingsbridge private MRI Scan, Imaging and Diagnostic Service?
- Confidence that you are using one of the most advanced clinical MRI scanners in the UK and Ireland.
- MRI scanning offers a thorough and comprehensive examination
- Full Whole Body MRI Scan option, providing full health check & screening
- A focus on patient comfort with a choice of in-room ambient lighting and music, head-first or feet-first options and a unique tilt option for patients unable to lay flat.
- Our MRI scanner is bigger than standard models and therefore allows more space and comfort for larger patients and patients prone to feeling claustrophobic.
- It is safe, painless and non-invasive
- There are no known side effects
How do I book an MRI scan?
Our private MRI Scan, Imaging and Diagnostic Service can be booked following referral by your GP, Consultant or by your physiotherapist. Chiropractors can also refer under certain circumstances.
Referrals can be arranged by simply emailing email@example.com or phoning 028 9073 5272.
What is an MRI Scan?
Magnetic Resonance Imaging, otherwise known as MRI, is used to take images of the body's organs without producing X-rays.
What happens when you arrive for your scan?
When you arrive at our Diagnostic and Imaging Centre you will be greeted by our friendly reception staff and asked to fill out your safety questionnaire. Some important things for us to determine are:
- Have you a cardiac pacemaker or defibrillator
- Have you any artificial limbs
- Have you any other surgical implants
- Have you EVER had metal fragments in your eyes
- If there is any chance you are pregnant
You will be asked to remove all metallic objects from your body and may be asked to change into a patient gown.
You will then have the option to choose your preferred music playlist and the lights in our ambient room that you find most pleasing while completing your scan.
Once on the MRI scanner, a piece of equipment called a coil will be placed around the affected area and the scan will commence. The examination is completely painless.
How long does an MRI Scan take?
The total scan time is usually 20 minutes per body area. We recommend arriving at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment so that we can go through the necessary checks and to answer any questions you may have.
How long does it take to get my MRI scan results?
Our diagnostic imaging team will provide results of your scan to your referrer within 48 hours of your appointment.
Are there any after effects?
No. You can drive, eat and drink as normal.
If you would like to book an appointment or require further information on the available options, please do not hesitate to contact our private patient booking team via our online MRI Scan enquiry form. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 02890 735272.
FAQ’s For Referring Clinicians
Why Choose the MRI Scanning Service at Kingsbridge Private Hospital?
We aim to provide same day scanning in the vast majority of cases. Once we have the received the referral simply call us on 02890735272 or email email@example.com and we will create an appointment slot that suits the patient. Our images are all reported by consultant NHS Radiologists within 48 hours of the appointment. The report is then sent to the referring clinician. The patient will receive a copy of their images on disc which can be viewed on any computer.
Who can refer for an MRI Scan?
Patients can be referred by their Consultant Medical Doctor or their General Practitioners as shown in the guidelines published by the Royal College of Radiologists.
Physiotherapists, Chiropractors and Osteopaths can also refer for scans relating to their field of speciality. For example, Chiropractors can only refer for Spines; in accordance with the joint publication between the Royal College of Radiologists and the professional bodies representing the respective Allied Health Professions entitled “Clinical Imaging Requests from Non-Medically Qualified Professionals”
What is required to refer?
The referrer must be a recognised clinician who is adequately trained and whom remain competent to refer via continued professional development. In accordance with the MHRA guidelines referrers must provide accurate patient details, referrer details, the region to be scanned and the appropriate clinical information to justify the examination. This information should all be entered into our referral form and the referral form sent via one of our various submission options, this includes email, online booking form or fax.
Why opt for MRI Scanning?
It provides clear, detailed images for a variety of pathology. Including, but not exhaustive:
- Musculoskeletal problems
- Sports injuries
- Neurological problems
- Spinal problems
- Vascular problems
- Soft tissue abdominal/pelvic pathology
- Bowel problems
- ENT conditions
An MRI emits no radiation and has no known detrimental effects on the patient. It is a safe painless procedure.
Who can not have an MRI scan?
For safety reasons, patients with the following implants are not suitable for this procedure due to the strong magnetic fields used in MRI:
- Cardiac Pacemaker/Defibrillator
- Aneurysm Clips
- Cochlear Implant
- Programmable Hydrocephalus shunt
If you have any questions, or wish to book an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our MRI and Ultrasound Scanning Centre on 02890735272.