For pregnancies judged to be at increased risk of cardiac abnormality, more detailed scans of the fetal heart are offered using fetal echocardiography.
This is a study of the structure of your baby's heart before birth using ultrasound. Indications include the following:
- Family history of Congenital Cardiac Disease
- Abnormal fetal heart rhythm
- Fetal heart abnormalities detected during a routine pregnancy ultrasound scan
- Congenital abnormality of another major organ system
- Insulin-dependent (type 1) diabetes mellitus
- Exposure to some drugs in early pregnancy, for example, some anti-epileptic drugs can damage the developing heart
- Abnormal amniocentesis
Our Paediatric cardiologist is also available for consultation for children from birth up to 16 years who have been referred with;
- Heart murmurs
- Blue spells
- Chest pain
- Fainting episodes
*This service is also available as a standalone appointment.