The post-holder will be responsible and accountable for the assessment, planning, delivery and evaluation of nursing care of post-operative patients.
- Knowledge of various surgical specialties with associated anaesthesia technique, recovery management of, and an understanding of, potential post-operative complications.
- Care and maintenance of clear airway.
- Understanding of, and competence in, the recognition of the requirement for pain relief and monitoring of the effects of this.
- Regular update training in, and maintenance of, resuscitation skills.
- Knowledge of clinical observation requirements and the interpretation and reporting of same.
- Specialist post-operative requirements.
- Provide the prescribed nursing care without supervision.
- Contribute to the development and evaluation of nursing practice in the unit.
Scope of Responsibilities
As a member of the clinical team, the Nurse will:
Participate in and contribute to:
- The assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care.
- Care of the patient in the immediate post-operative phase, to include care of the unconscious patient.
- Provide extended recovery care for specialised surgical procedures.
- Effective team working; maintaining staff relationships and morale amongst staff.
- Maintaining a quality service, and participating in department specific quality performance measures.
- Relevant clinical skills and functions commensurate with the role requirements following appropriate training and assessment.
- Carrying out evidence-based practice and agreed care pathways.
Demonstrate an awareness of, and adherence to, strategies for:
- Communication between patients, staff and relatives, reporting issues to the line manager as required.
- Communication between members of the multi-disciplinary team.
- Best practice in safe handling, administration, storage and custody of medicinal products.
- Education of patients / relatives / carers regarding aspects of care and give appropriate health promotion and education.
- Ensuring all documentation is legible, accurate, is written in black ink, and clearly signed / timed / dated in accordance with An Bord Altranais Guidelines.
The post holder will:
- Act as a mentor / preceptor as required.
- Take charge when necessary as part of continuing professional and managerial development.
- Maintain staff relationships and morale amongst staff.
- Delegate appropriately to staff.
- Review staff performance in line with performance appraisal guidelines.
- Ensure personal and professional development in accordance with An Bord Altranais Guidelines.
- Participate in Personal Performance Appraisal & Development Review.
- Participate in staff induction, training and other learning as required.
- Participate in practice development initiatives.
- Report any signs of ill health in colleagues.
- Members of staff are expected at all times to provide a caring service and to treat those with whom they come into contact with in a courteous and respectful manner, ensuring due regard is given to customs, values, and spiritual beliefs of patients, clients, and colleagues.
- All duties must be carried out in compliance with Kingsbridge Private Hospital Sligo Health and Safety Policy and statutory regulations.
- All staff must ensure the ongoing confidence of the public in service provision.
- All staff must maintain high standards of personal accountability.
- All staff must comply with the relevant Code of Conduct.
- All staff must carry out any other duties commensurate with their grade according to the needs of the service.
- All staff must participate in staff appraisal.
The above list is not exhaustive and additional / alternative tasks may be required from time to time as directed.
Must be registered as a General Nurse with An Bord Altranais
Have at least 2 years’ experience of working in the theatre area within the last 5 years.
To apply please complete an application form and return to the recruitment team email email@example.com. Closing date for applications is 4pm on Friday 3rd December,2021.